Thursday, October 08, 2009

thank you, poetry class, for making me read more

being in lex's poetry class this term is bringing me much joy. not only is it forcing me, for once, to really sit down and take the time to write, but it also has me reading all kinds of new poetry. finding new poetry is a hit-and-miss process, but having a list of authors to check out sure is a helpful way to start.
here is one of my favorite new poems. i don't know what to make of much of this poet's work, but this one struck a chord with me.


Things Shouldn't Be So Hard
Kay Ryan

A life should leave
deep tracks:
rut where she
went out and back
to get the mail
or move the hose around the yard;
where she used to
stand before the sink,
a worn-out place;
beneath her hand
the china knobs
rubbed down to
white pastilles;
the switch she
used to feel for
in the dark
almost erased.
Her things should
keep her marks.
The passage
of a life should show;
it should abrade.
And when life stops,
a certain space--
however small--
should be left scarred
by the grand and
damaging parade.
Things shouldn't
be so hard.


b

No comments: